- Is Bigen a permanent hair color?
Yes, it is a permanent hair color that features a depositing action only. It does not rub off, and its color stays 4 to 6 weeks.
- What are the benefits of using Bigen?
• Easy to use (simply mix with water)
• Contains no ammonia, requires no hydrogen peroxide (Less damage)
• Very gentle to hair (low in pH)
• Long lasting, with controlled and predictable results
• No harsh odors
• Gives hair a smooth, rich and natural look
- What is the purpose of Bigen?
The purpose of Bigen is fourfold: (1) to darken hair (2) to match or enhance your natural hair color, (3) to permanently and easily cover gray and (4) to restore hair color that has been faded either by sun, chlorine, sea water or hair chemicals.
- What makes Bigen unique?
Bigen is a leading powdered permanent hair color that does not contain ammonia nor metallic ingredients in its formula, and does not require hydrogen peroxide for processing.
- Who can benefit from Bigen?
Bigen is designed for those who desire dark, rich healthy looking hair and cover gray.
- Can Bigen be used on men?
Yes. Bigen will gently cover gray without drastic changes in your natural color.
- Is it okay to color my hair black using Bigen right after using semi-permanent hair color?
Yes, of course. However, if you have previously colored your hair with henna or a color-restorer, you need to wait until your hair has grown out, until these colors fade completely out of your hair, or until your color-treated hair has been cut. Otherwise, the desired results may not be obtained.
- How does Bigen compare with semi-permanent colors?
Bigen and semi-permanent colors are crucially different with regard to lasting color. Bigen lasts more than 1 month, while semi-permanent colors last about 2 to 3 weeks, washing out gradually.
Answers / About Usage
- Do I have to do a skin test before application every time I color my hair?
All permanent hair colors, including Bigen, require a preliminary skin test before each use. Your body constitution and condition change every day. Allergic reactions can occur depending on the constitution of the day of use. Please make sure that you do the skin test before each use, even if you have been coloring for years without any problems.
- You should carry out the skin test 48 hours before application to see if you are allergic to hair color product, every time you color your hair with permanent hair color product. If you notice any signs of burning, swelling, redness or irritation on your skin during these 48 hours, do not use the product.
- Please do not use this product for tattoos, body art, body hair (besides hair on scalp), facial hair (such as beard or mustache), or on the eyelashes or eyebrows. Use only on the skin solely for the purpose of the preliminary skin test. Hoyu America is not responsible for any allergies or damages/irritation to the skin. If in the case of a skin reaction, please consult your physician immediately.
- What level of hair should Bigen be used on?
Bigen is only recommended to darken hair, covering gray and enhance levels 1 through 4 (Black, Dark Chestnut, Medium Chestnut and Light Chestnut).
- How do I select the right Bigen color for me?
Always choose the Bigen color that is closest to your own natural color (or 1 to 2 shades lighter) for best results.
- Is 6g (0.21 fl oz.) powder enough to cover all my hair?
2.3 fl oz. of mixture is obtained when you mix a full bottle of powder with 5 measuring cups of water. This amount is good enough to cover from short hair to shoulder-long hair. You may need 2 bottles if you have long hair.
- Can I apply Bigen to wet hair?
Bigen should be applied only on dry hair. If the hair is very oily or has excessive buildup, shampoo 24 hours before application. A mild shampoo is recommended to avoid irritating the scalp too much. Water, metallic ingredients or hair spray adversely affect coloring process of Bigen.
- Can Bigen be used on chemically treated hair?
Yes. As Bigen is a non-ammonia, non-hydrogen-peroxide formula, it gently deposits color, and can be used even on chemically treated hair if the hair is medium to coarse. We suggest waiting 1 to 2 weeks between chemical treatments for minimum hair damage.
- Can Bigen be used to add depth to previously lighted hair?
Yes. Bigen is excellent for black tint and corrective coloring, to eliminate off tones and cool-down over lightened hair.
- What will the results be after using Bigen?
The hair will be rich and lustrous, with magnificent natural-looking color.
- What is the processing time for Bigen?
Normal processing time is 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature (68° F to 77° F). The coloring process is a chemical reaction that starts when you mix the powder with water. It is not recommended to take too long to apply and process, which may cause hair damage or unexpected coloring results.
- Does Bigen lift up and deposit color at the same time?
No. Bigen has no lifting action. Bigen is a deposit-only color.
- Is it necessary to go under a dryer during processing?
No. Using a dryer is not recommended. Use Bigen at room temperature (around 68°F to 77°F).
- How long do Bigen colors last?
Up to 4 to 6 weeks, depending on each individual's hair condition.
- Will Bigen fade or rub off?
Since Bigen is a permanent hair color, it does not wash out. It usually lasts 4 to 6 weeks.
- What is the procedure for new growth or retouch application?
Using a tint brush, simply apply Bigen mixture to the new growth.
- Sometimes Bigen comes out darker than color swatch/samples displayed at stores. Why?
The hair swatches show the coloring result when Bigen is applied to 100% gray hair. Bigen tends to come out darker when applying to black hair because it has no lifting action. We recommend that you select 1 or 2 levels lighter than your original, natural color.
- I have colored my hair black. Can I lighten the hair with hair color product?
No. Color pigments of permanent hair color once oxidized and developed are difficult to remove from hair. It's almost impossible to lighten previously darkened hair with permanent hair color by yourself. For more information, ask for a professional colorist at a salon.
- I colored my hair with Bigen. Can I lighten the hair with other color products?
No. Since Bigen is a permanent hair color, Bigen's color pigments are difficult to remove from hair after oxidized and developed. For more information, ask for a professional colorist at a salon.
- How long can I store Bigen if it is unopened?
You can store Bigen up to 5 years if it is unopened and stored in a cool and dark place.
Answers / Care After Coloring
- What type of shampoo should be used after using Bigen?
Mild acid, moisturizing shampoo is recommended for use. You may want to follow with a conditioner. Ingredients working as pH adjusters balance the mixture to mild alkali, in order to maximize the coloring effect of Bigen. The pH status of colored hair (Alkali) should be recovered to the original status of hair.
- What will be in conditioner and shampoo that will make more suitable to use with color-treated hair?
- It is recommended to use hair care products which help replenish nutrition and prevent color fading. Ingredients, such as cationic polymer and silicone, make the hair smooth and reduce damage. Oil content and vitamins are also preferable to supply nutrition.